Hi!

• Beverlee

June 27, 2024 at 6:41 pm

Hi Brenda , glad you noticed! Share how things are going in your business, what’s working well?

Beverlee

• Brenda Race

June 27, 2024 at 9:29 pm

Hi Beverlee!

Many things are going great! In the last two years, I achieved some streamlined methods, templates, great word-of-mouth, profitable (but not paying myself enough yet), and a ton of reviews, which met start-up goals!

Of course, I’ve had mistakes and learning along the way…and it’s always ongoing! Examples to share in case anyone else can relate (there’s a lot, so here’s what’s top of mind!….

> I worked hard building my website, which worked so well for the first year and a half. Then, last year, I hired my first contractor, a Web Developer, to build a refresh and handle any monthly updates, glitches, and design additions/changes that take more time or ability than I can do. (I do basic edits/adds on it.)

> I failed a few times with my accounting software reconciliation and couldn’t find or get a referral for a bookkeeper familiar with virtual-only businesses to help. I tried different versions and brands. UGH. After extensive searching and a move to Campbell River, I literally just found an accounting/bookkeeping company and hired them to set it all up with any monthly help needed.) This is actively in progress. I’m SO thrilled. This is part of the plan to handle growth and prepare for e-commerce (courses) and growth.

To grow the business, I need to continually improve efficiencies to free up more time to generate additional revenue that doesn’t need me present. This means more automation.

> Trello is back on the table for organization and task management after trying some and not loving any yet. I think I can make this one work.

> I used a scheduling/payment/client portal app, Honeybook, which also failed because it didn’t recognize Canadian banks for e-transfers (my main payment for private sessions…which has been very successful) with Stripe or PayPal as back up. I’m now about to set up Acuity Scheduling, which my AI assistant recommends as a great fit for my business/needs, so I’m exploring this one next.

> I couldn’t find a small business Laywer that felt right, so I used a legal referral service through Zeninsurance (my business insurance), but the quality was so poor that I called out mistakes. But it was rectified and got me through a pinch for a finalized Terms of Service, Service Agreement, and Privacy Policy in the beginning. On my to-do list is to create an AI Policy, as it’s recommended by our industry, so I’m working on it with AI help, and it’s on the list to find another human for the legal review. Then I need e-commerce Terms and Conditions.

I could go on and on (well I guess I just did!), but the point is through the mishaps come learning and growth. I recently bought your new book and am excited about having a small business group back to share, brainstorm, learn, and grow with each other.

I look forward to seeing what develops here!

Brenda

• Mona

June 28, 2024 at 7:57 am

Congrats Brenda! Sounds like you made huge strides, it is very exciting to hear your update 🙂